Andrew Brown

Skyfire 2021 cancelled due to coronavirus | The Canberra Times

coronavirus, skyfire, skyfire 2021, skyfire cancelled, skyfire coronavirus, canberra fireworks, canberra

Canberra’s annual fireworks spectacular Skyfire will not go ahead next year. Organisers made the decision on Monday to cancel the 2021 Skyfire due to the impact of COVID-19. It will be the second year in a row the event will not go ahead after the 2020 fireworks were cancelled in March due to coronavirus. The 2021 Skyfire would have been the 33rd edition of the fireworks display. Normally, the event staged by Hit 104.7 would have more than 100,000 people surround the shores of Lake Burley Griffin to see the fireworks and music performances. Canberra FM Radio general manager Craig Wagstaff said the safety and health of the Canberra community was the priority. “We have made the difficult, though responsible and sensible decision, to cancel for 2021,” Mr Wagstaff said. “We remain grateful for the significant commitment from the community-at-large, our key commercial partners and event providers along with the ACT and federal governments. “As will always remain the case, we will continue to explore safe, appropriate and enjoyable ways per our aim to contribute to the community across the Canberra region.” The cancellation of Skyfire earlier this year at the beginning of the pandemic was the first time the fireworks had been cancelled since 1989. Organisers said in March they had hoped to stage Skyfire later in 2020, but such attempts were unsuccessful. More than two tonnes of fireworks are normally launched for the Skyfire, and the display typically lasts 20 minutes.

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/fdcx/doc74i5euyas141akzldqz.jpg/r2_151_2956_1820_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BREAKING

Source link

Leave a comment